Our eyes are very important to us. As the old saying goes, eyes are the window to the soul. That being said, we don’t often think about our eyes until something goes wrong. Naturally, prevention is better than cure so we have a few ideas about how you can protect your eyes:
1. See an eye doctor
Eye doctors, or optometrists are individuals who you ought to consult with on occasion. If you have an issue with your eyes speak to an eye doctor. If you’re not sure how often you ought to have a check up, ask your doctor for assistance. It is generally recommended that you check your eyes once in two years if you are healthy. If you are older 40 and/or have diabetes, then have an eye exam.
2. Hands off your eyes: Yes, its a pretty old saying but please ensure that you keep your hands clean by washing them often and refrain from touching your eyes. This is a great way to reduce risk of eye infections. Be especially particularly careful when handling hot, spicy foods. If you encounter such a situation rinse your eyes with water immediately
3. Don’t smoke: As we pointed out earlier (link to stop smoking article), a side effect of smoking is that it contributes to a plethora of eye diseases such as cataracts (cloudy vision) and glaucoma (a leading cause of blindness). So if you are a smoker, you have another reason to stop smoking and stay away from those toxic fumes.
4. Eat healthy foods: Whenever possible, eat a variety of fruits and vegetables as they provide nutritional benefits and keep your eyes nice and healthy. In fact, carrots and green, leafy vegetables are especially popular. So make sure that you eat your greens such as spinach, ‘pala’ & arugula.
5. Use the 20/20/20 rule: Let’s be honest, we use our electronic devices far more these days. In fact, you’re using one to read this right now! Adopt the 20/20/20 rule- take a break every 20minutes and stare at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds. The point is that prolonged exposure to electronic devices is bad for you so make it a point to take breaks often and use devices with better lighting, larger font sizes whenever possible
6. Wear sunglasses: This applies to a lot of people. Wear sunglasses-they are not just for show. In fact, they are useful in protecting your eyes by filtering out UV rays, stop your eyes drying out and keeping dust particles away from your eyes
Enjoyed this list? Send this to your friends and subscribe. Afterwards, take a break and step away from your electronic device for a little while!
Disclaimer: The views shared in this blog are based on the macro economic conditions & industry status quo as per the time of publishing.